Waiting

Friday, May 20, 2005

Priorities

I know some of my e mail pals are getting awfully tired of receiving notes urging action on political issues. I am unable to apologize for this.
I am so aware that most of us have lives proceeding in spite of the horrendous things happening to/ in our governance. Most of us are only feeling the pressure at the gas station. We don't all have family members or friends whose lives are at risk in combat.
Not many of us have a family member on cocaine or in a drug crisis of any kind, leaving aside for a moment the scrip- happy docs receiving resort vacations from 'legal' drug companies.
My readership is not facing decisions on one rape induced pregnancy.
Most of you are busy making a living, some just getting by and others doing very well.
Most don't have the time I gratefully acknowledge to read about and study issues of Citizenship.
I understand that. I remember, as a child, sitting at the adult family table listening to assorted members discuss and argue points of governance. I was born the year after FDR died. I come from a family of Democrats who loved FDR and taught me how Unions had improved their lives. I am a child of a WW2 Veteran. I can not ignore what is happening to our country today- I have no choice. I must be involved even if all I can do is spread the word of how we can with not alot of effort or money, influence the direction of our nation. It is imperative today to PAY ATTENTION and do what we can to stop the fall into totalitarianism we are witnessing. The majority of Americans did not elect this administration. This administration was forced on us by a Supreme Court decision.
The re election was accomplished by denying citizens of Florida and Ohio and New Mexico the vote.
The media has been intimidated into 'soft' reporting or non reporting rather than Investigative reporting. Now one of the last bastions of objective reporting is under seige by those in power : the Public Broadcasting Channels are being TOLD how to report their stories! Our freedoms are being assailed from all sides in every way possible. House Rep Sensenberger is offering a bill HR1528 that would punish with jail sentences a mom who did not report a son or daughter, husband, wife, mother, father, grandmother, neighbor, bowling team member, for possessing a joint. Is this clear ? This means any ONE of us who did not immediately report any known drug use or possession by ANY one we know or love would be subject to jail - up to 2 years in prison. This is, & I will not use the N -word, the kind of thing MY father fought against.....total government control of our lives. This is totalitarianism. This is what Americans died fighting against ! It is an outrage that we can not allow to continue.
I think I am speaking mostly to the younger readers- people my age have a closer memory of our history; we grew up listening to our parents rave about how wonderful this country was in taking on the European and Pacific threats of militarism. In awe- Uncle Marty used like to say "What a country!" Marty fought in the Pacific- stationed in New Guinea.
We grew up as Proud Americans. I used to tear up listening to the Star Spangled Banner- almost every time......I put my hand on my heart and LED my fellow students in the school auditorium in the Pledge of Allegiance. I want to be able to do that again. I want my country back- I want all to know that the current leadership has taken us on a road that started with lies and is strewn with landmines and small grenades, eg HR1528.
When the State can trace your internet purchases as well as store all of your personal information - and now try to tell you who can broadcast on public tv and who can not-
who can attend a "town meeting" and who can not...who can get a washington DC press pass and who can not...that one can be Arrested for wearing an anti- administration T shirt ( google it ! ) we have to ASK what is going on here !!????
Please get the e mail addresses of your federal and state senators and representatives-& /or phone numbers- or mailing addresses- keep on top of them- tell them they will not get your vote next time around if they continue to blindly follow an agenda that has taken advantage of good willed people and convinced them that their God is calling the shots.
YOUR LIFE IS AT STAKE- Jesus said, didn't he ? "what you do for the least of my brothers, you do for me" Clothe the naked, feed the hungry, visit the sick and imprisoned...... look it up. We aren't seeing much of that from a Congress agreeing to cut spending on social programs and education and housing. Don't blame Usama or the middle east or saudi Arabia;
the responsibilities for accountable governance lie in the hands of the people in power in this country. and We, the People, have been denied our Power- let's get back to it-
An Eagle needs both wings to fly, said Bill Moyers- one of the most respected news people in the country- who has had funding cuts for his programming.
One of the people in Congress I love to listen to is Senator Byrd- he seems to be the Last Gentleman in the Senate- as they refer to each other rhetorically if not always sincerely.
The Senator will give you a history lesson with every sentence.
Goodness- I sure hope someone out there is reading this- - but even if it takes awhile to get the word out I will keep posting........and alerting through emails- until we have removed the hypocrites and the Pharisees, the greedy and the arrogant from power.
Comments encouraged- e mail your congress person-right NOW
only then, will you ~~ Enjoy your day

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home